Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A GOOD NAME

A GOOD NAME






We should respect the good name of other people, and should safeguard

our own by a high sense of honor. At the close of the Civil War a

representative of an insurance company offered Robert E. Lee the

presidency of the firm at a salary of $50,000 a year. Lee replied that

while he wished to earn his living, he doubted whether his services

would be worth so large a sum. "We don't want your services," the man

interrupted; "we want your name." "That," said Lee, quietly, "is not for

sale." He accepted, instead, the presidency of a college at $1500 a

year.





Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,

Is the immediate jewel of their souls:

Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;

'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;

But he that filches from me my good name

Robs me of that which not enriches him,

And makes me poor indeed.



1 comment:

Ganesh said...

Couldn't understand this article completely, however can get the essence - which is good.